"MIDDLETOWN FOR CLEAN ENERGY"
a nonpartisan group of Middletown, NJ residents who support a Middletown transition to 100% Clean Energy.
STATUS OF MIDDLETOWN ENERGY PLAN
MOST RECENT PRESENTATIONS:
- Dec 11, 2019, Mayor Tony Perry, Middletown, NJ (see "meetings", below)
- Nov 21, 2019 onboard M/V Clio in Mediterranean, "What Will a Clean Energy Future Look Like in 2050? And How Do We Get There?" (included Climate Change impacts in Greece, Israel, and the Middle East)
- Oct 10, 2019 Brookdale Community College slides ; student visioning summary ; raw data
Fundamentals https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/ ;
"EnROADS simulator" "learn by doing" to find most effective GHG reductions; watch 3 min training ; further explanation
Subscribe for alerts about free Webinars from "Security and Sustainability Forum"
UN IPCC report (global; 12 years to reduce 50%); National Climate Assessment report (Nov, 2018; US-specific); 2018 Arctic Report Card, NOAA, Dec, 2018; Global Assessment Report on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services, May, 2019; IPCC (UN "Ocean and Cryosphere in a Changing Climate", Sept 25,2019; Oceans and Ice Risks overview Oct 11,2019; The Lancet Health Report (Health Effects); Global Carbon Budget 2018 (12/5/2018)- NYTimes review;
http://theyearsproject.com; Jan Dash http://climate.trunity.org/; Phil Blackwood "Updates" ; NASA’s Climate Evidence Page; NOAA’s Climate Page ; Citizens’ Climate Lobby ; Climate Reality Project ; "How Renewables Work - A Practical Guide to Solar, Wind, and Geothermal"; HHMI earthviewer
NJ-specific climate info:
https://climate.rutgers.edu/stateclim/ ; https://statesummaries.ncics.org/nj ; https://njenvironmentnews.com/ ; Phil Blackwood Climate News Updates 2018 ; 2019 ;
The Economist, 9/22/2019: "Past,Present,Future of Climate Change"
Goldman Sachs, 9/2019, "Taking the Heat" (34 pages)- relies on the IPCC (cited above) which has "the most comprehesive source of research on climate change" and discusses impacts of a massive move of cities to build resiliency.
Sierra Club "Energy Resources Policy" ;
"Science on Saturday" NJ Climate lectures 3/2/2019 and 2/2/2019 at Princeton Fusion Lab https://goo.gl/322EBZ ;
2019 climate reports: first group of 12 ; 2nd group of 12
2018 ACCOMPLISHMENTS by Middletown for Clean Energy
2019 ACCOMPLISHMENTS (also see archived events for details)
Yale's new report "Energy in the American Mind" shows Americans across party lines are #ReadyFor100!
- 85% of registered voters support “requiring electric utilities in your state to produce 100% of their electricity from clean, renewable sources by 2050,” including 95% of Democrats and 71% of Republicans.
- 58% of Americans think policies to speed the transition from fossil fuels to clean, renewable energy will improve economic growth and create new jobs.
- Middletown has a Conpressed Natural Gas station which it plans to use to fuel its fleet of 400 vehicles.
- NJNatural Gas Co proposes gas installations within Shadow Lake Village (SLV). Index to docs
LETTERS TO MIDDLETOWN LEADERS AND OTHER POSTS
- 5/20/2017 letters to Mayor Scharfenberger
- 10/12/2018 letter to Mayor Kevin Settembrino, Ted Maloney, (Chief Engineer), and Tony Mercantante (Township Administrator) background explanation/references
- 12/22/2018 post to Middletown Facebook Groups
- 12/24/2018 letter to Middletown Committee
- 12/30/2018 post & post to Indivisible (Bayshore and 4th district) Facebook Groups
- 1/24/2019 invitation and details to Amy Sarrinikolaou and Tony Mercantante to explore "Community Solar" possibilities in Middletown
- 2/13/2019 meeting (3 min video) with Mayor Tony Perry
- 2/14/2019 letter to Tony Perry; attaching 10/12/2018 letter and 12/24/2018 letter
- 2/15/2019 invitation to Fiore/Hibell/Snell
- 2/15/2019 email to OHCA
- 3/20/2019 letter (draft - NOT sent) to Middletown requesting a vote to increase energy efficiency standards in the 2021 IECC standard used in the NJ Uniform Construction Code
This is a placeholder for an action in ~2 years to influence the 2024 IECC efficiency standards. At that time, Middletown might join its 8 votes with the votes of a coalition of cities, counties and states working toward 100% clean energy.
- 4/15/2019 Middletown Committee: cover letter ; citizen letter ; attachment
- 4/19/2019 letter to APP editor (by Jan Dash)
- 5/18/2019 confirmation letter to Mayor Perry
- 6/18/2019 letter to Tony Mercantante (Administrator of Middletown Township)
- 6/18/2019 letter to Dr. William George, Superintendent of Schools, Middletown Township
- 8/10/2019 article article on Energy Plan grant, published in Oct-Dec "Jersey Sierran"
- 9/17/2019 letter to Middletown Committee and others
- 12/2/2019 letter to Settembrino, Mercantante, Maloney: "Middletown's Membership in International Code Council"
- 12/4/2019 letter to Gov Murphy, regarding NJNatGas proposals in ShadowLakeVillage
- 12/4/2019 letter to David Willis, AsbParkPress, regarding NJNatGas proposals in ShadowLakeVillage
- 12/10/2019 letter to Mayor Perry, Tony Mercantante - a reminder to attend the RGEA regional review,Dec 19, Eatontown
- 2/7/2020 email to Ted Maloney - Future of Renewable Natural Gas in NJ
- 2/7/2020 email to Tony Mercantante - 5.1% milestone for closure of SREC program in June, 2020
- 2/10/2020 email to AmyS and JanetD- Proposal for earth day celebration
- 2/11/2020 email to AmyS - integrate EnergyPlan into MasterPlan
- 2/11/2020 email to Mayor Perry for discussion during 2/12/2020 meeting
- 2/12/2020 web-post to Div of Purchase -property, NJ Dept-of-Treasury
- 2/13/2020 email to Committee to support renewable electrical aggregation
MIDDLETOWN FOR CLEAN ENERGY (RF100) MEETINGS
- June 7, 2018 Monmouth County Training
- July 2, 2018 Agenda and Minutes Middletown for Clean Energy Team Meeting
- Aug 7, 2018 Agenda and Minutes Middletown for Clean Energy Team Meeting; 7:30PM (1st Tues of each month)
(email for info: email@example.com)
- Aug 15, 2018 Agenda (including minutes) to help publicize/organize the Sept 8 People's Climate March
- Aug 19, 2018 Agenda ; Minutes publicize/organize the Sept 8 People's Climate March
- Sept 4, 2018 Agenda ; Minutes; Middletown for Clean Energy Team Meeting
- Oct 2, 2018 Agenda ; Minutes(html) ; Minutes (doc);
- Nov 15, 2018 7:30-8:30PM Agenda; Minutes
- Dec 4, 7PM to 9 PM "24 Hours of Reality Watch Party" agenda; minutes
- Feb 5, 2019, 7PM Agenda ; minutes
- Mar 5, 2019, 7PM Agenda
- June 4, 7PM Agenda
- July 2, 7PM Agenda : Green Energy Stakeholders Team - plan for Middletown Energy Plan
- Aug 6, 7PM Agenda
- Aug 14 meeting with Amy Sarrinikolaou, Sustainabilty Manager, agenda ; minutes
- Sept 3 7PM Agenda
- Oct 1, 7PM Agenda was a critique of a proposed Oct 10 presentation to Brookdale CC
- Nov 5, 7PM Agenda
- Dec 3, 7PM Agenda ; minutes
- Dec 11, 2019, 5:30PM agenda ; minutes from meeting with Mayor Tony Perry
- Jan 7, 2020, 7PM agenda ; minutes
- Feb 4, 2020 7PM agenda ; minutes
"READY FOR 100" DOCUMENTS:
- "Climate" (this site)
- "Electric" (electric index pdf file) - background, and instructions to switch electrical supplier to 100% renewable
- "WhatYouCanDo"; templates to write letters to publications; elected officials and your local mayor and green team leader
NJ CITIES MOVING TO CLEAN ENERGY:
EXCELLENT NYTIMES OpEd, 10/23/2017 "How to Keep the Lights On After a Hurricane
- Electric utilities need to configure residential solar systems to allow solar to be used in the event the grid goes down
- This is the principle behind "microgrids"
PREVIOUS PRESENTATIONS AND MEETINGS
GREEN TEAM INITIATIVES
- 1/23/2018 Steve discussed energy Actions with Marlboro Green Team
- Proposed Sustainable Jersey Energy Plan (8/2017 proposed revision of the Sustainable Jersey "Climate Action Plan")
- Middletown Green Team energy actions ; Amy Sarrinikolaou 10/2/17 proposal to Middletown Committee (leveraged from Elihu Dietz summer, 2017)
"Direct Install" was approved 10/10/2017 during S.Miller's discussion with Mayor Scharfenberger, Dep Mayor Stephanie Murray, and Administrator Tony Mercantante
- Presentation to Holmdel Green Team (aug 14, 2017)
- Presentation to Marlboro Green Team (Jan 23, 2018)
CLIMATE REALITY 100% CAMPAIGN "Tool Kit"
PROFILE OF MONMOUTH COUNTY TOWNS - Middletown
"NJFRAMES" study of sea level rise in the 15 towns within "2 rivers" area. Current scenarios as of July 10, 2019. Public comments accepted until Aug 10, 2019 at https://tinyurl.com/NJFRAMEScomments .
ELECTRICITY FROM WAVE ENERGY
"SurfWEC" Electricity from Waves: an innovative project for synergy with offshore wind.
2019-4-22 Science Monday talk by Michael Raftery, VP, CTO of "SurfWEC"
EXTRA CREDIT: (mouse over the following GIF to observe annimation)
NETZERO GLOBAL EMISSIONS
Assumes global emissions begin dropping in the near future
If the drop in emissions is not fast enough, the animation shows the required NEGATIVE emissions (in green) to stabalize to a desired maximum global temperature
Most of the net emissions would be high capacity carbon sequestration from the air (by a mechansm yet to be invented/perfected)