"Middletown for Clean Energy" is a nonpartisan group of Middletown, NJ residents who support a Middletown transition to 100% Clean Energy.
APRIL 15 PRESENTATION TO THE MIDDLETOWN TOWNSHIP COMMITTE
May, 2019 EVENTS
- Every Monday until June 6: call Gov Murphy: request moratorium on new Fossil Fuel Infrastructure (esp NESE pipeline)
- May 6, 7PM Middletown Committee Meeting
- May 7, 7PM "Middletown for Clean Energy"Agenda ; Minutes
- *May 8, 5:30PM meet with Mayor Tony Perry
- *May 10 (Fri) 7PM Green New Deal, Neptune City, NJ
- May 19 (Sun) 11-3PM Ocean Fun Days, Sandy Hook
- *May 20 (Mon) 7PM Middletown Committee Meeting (Resolution to create Stakeholder Team? - IF SO- CALL FOR LARGE NUMBER OF SUPORTERS & PRESS)
- May 20 (Mon) 6-8PM tabling/letter writing, "Science Monday" at Brookdale (sponsors: Sierra Club & Brookdale Env Club)
- May 23, 3PM private meeting with Tammy Murphy
- *May 28, 3PM Table Display (proposed), HS North Green Fair (VOLUNTEERS TO REDRAFT TABLE DISPLAY FOR HIGH SCHOOL AGE!)
- May 28 7PM Sustainable Jersey Hub, Long Branch (presentation to Monmouth County Green Teams)
- May 31, 9-12 "Going for Gold Workshop", College of NJ, Ed Bldg room 212 (for all NJ towns "serious" about reducing energy emissions)
June, 2019 EVENTS
- June 14 (Friday - all day) Sustainable Jersey Summit, Bell Works, Holmdel (for all Green Teams)
- *June 28 (Thurs) 7PM "From Paris to Pittsburgh" movie + discussion, Old 1st Church, Kings Highway, Middletown - SEEKING VOLUNTEERS FOR AFTER-MOVIE PANEL DISCUSSION
2018 ACCOMPLISHMENTS by Middletown for Clean Energy
2019 EVENTS COMPLETED TODATE
Yale's new report "Energy in the American Mind" shows Americans across party lines are #ReadyFor100!
- 85% of registered voters support “requiring electric utilities in your state to produce 100% of their electricity from clean, renewable sources by 2050,” including 95% of Democrats and 71% of Republicans.
- 58% of Americans think policies to speed the transition from fossil fuels to clean, renewable energy will improve economic growth and create new jobs.
- Middletown has a Conpressed Natural Gas station which it plans to use to fuel its fleet of 100 vehicles.
LETTERS TO MIDDLETOWN LEADERS AND OTHER POSTS
- 5/20/2017 letters to Mayor Scharfenberger
- 10/12/2018 letter to Mayor Kevin Settembrino, Ted Maloney, (Chief Engineer), and Tony Mercantante (Township Administrator) background explanation/references
- 12/22/2018 post to Middletown Facebook Groups
- 12/24/2018 letter to Middletown Committee
- 12/30/2018 post & post to Indivisible (Bayshore and 4th district) Facebook Groups
- 1/24/2019 invitation and details to Amy Sarrinikolaou and Tony Mercantante to explore "Community Solar" possibilities in Middletown
- 2/13/2019 meeting (3 min video) with Mayor Tony Perry
- 2/14/2019 letter to Tony Perry; attaching 10/12/2018 letter and 12/24/2018 letter
- 2/15/2019 invitation to Fiore/Hibell/Snell
- 2/15/2019 email to OHCA
- 3/20/2019 letter (draft - NOT sent) to Middletown requesting a vote to increase energy efficiency standards in the 2021 IECC standard used in the NJ Uniform Construction Code
This is a placeholder for an action in ~2 years to influence the 2024 IECC efficiency standards. At that time, Middletown might join its 8 votes with the votes of a coalition of cities, counties and states working toward 100% clean energy.
- 4/19/2019 letter to APP editor (by Jan Dash)
MIDDLETOWN FOR CLEAN ENERGY (RF100) MEETINGS
- June 7, 2018 Monmouth County Training
- July 2, 2018 Agenda and Minutes Middletown for Clean Energy Team Meeting
- Aug 7, 2018 Agenda and Minutes Middletown for Clean Energy Team Meeting; 7:30PM (1st Tues of each month)
(email for info: email@example.com)
- Aug 15, 2018 Agenda (including minutes) to help publicize/organize the Sept 8 People's Climate March
- Aug 19, 2018 Agenda ; Minutes publicize/organize the Sept 8 People's Climate March
- Sept 4, 2018 Agenda ; Minutes; Middletown for Clean Energy Team Meeting
- Oct 2, 2018 Agenda ; Minutes(html) ; Minutes (doc);
- Nov 15, 2018 7:30-8:30PM Agenda; Minutes
- Dec 4, 7PM to 9 PM "24 Hours of Reality Watch Party" agenda; minutes
- Feb 5, 7PM Agenda ; minutes
- Mar 5, 7PM Agenda
"READY FOR 100" DOCUMENTS:
- "Climate" (this site)
- "Electric" (electric index pdf file) - background, and instructions to switch electrical supplier to 100% renewable
- "WhatYouCanDo"; templates to write letters to publications; elected officials and your local mayor and green team leader
NJ CITIES MOVING TO CLEAN ENERGY:
EXCELLENT NYTIMES OpEd, 10/23/2017 "How to Keep the Lights On After a Hurricane
- Electric utilities need to configure residential solar systems to allow solar to be used in the event the grid goes down
- This is the principle behind "microgrids"
PREVIOUS PRESENTATIONS AND MEETINGS
GREEN TEAM INITIATIVES
- 1/23/2018 Steve discussed energy Actions with Marlboro Green Team
- Proposed Sustainable Jersey Energy Plan (8/2017 proposed revision of the Sustainable Jersey "Climate Action Plan")
- Middletown Green Team energy actions ; Amy Sarrinikolaou 10/2/17 proposal to Middletown Committee (leveraged from Elihu Dietz summer, 2017)
"Direct Install" was approved 10/10/2017 during S.Miller's discussion with Mayor Scharfenberger, Dep Mayor Stephanie Murray, and Administrator Tony Mercantante
- Presentation to Holmdel Green Team (aug 14, 2017)
- Presentation to Marlboro Green Team (Jan 23, 2018)
CLIMATE REALITY 100% CAMPAIGN "Tool Kit"
PROFILE OF MONMOUTH COUNTY TOWNS - Middletown
ELECTRICITY FROM WAVE ENERGY
"SurfWEC" Electricity from Waves: an innovative project for synergy with offshore wind.
2019-4-22 Science Monday talk by Michael Raftery, VP, CTO of "SurfWEC"
NETZERO GLOBAL EMISSIONS (mouse over the following GIF to observe annimation)
Assumes global emissions begin dropping in the near future
If the drop in emissions is not fast enough, the animation shows the required NEGATIVE emissions (in green) to stabalize to a desired maximum global temperature
Most of the net emissions would be high capacity carbon sequestration from the air (by a mechansm yet to be invented/perfected)